Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.

EU, EEA and Commonwealth:

If you are planning to visit or move to the UK and your passport was issued to you by a country which is a member of the European Union you do not need a visa or special permission to live and work in the UK.

If your passport was issued by a country in the European Economic Area you have the right under EU law to live and work in the United Kingdom. However, if you have family members who are not from EEA countries and you want them to join you in the UK, then they must apply for an EEA Family Permit before travelling to this country.

To clarify, at the time of writing European Union countries are:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • United Kingdom

The European Economic Area (EEA) includes all of the above countries, plus:

  • Iceland
  • Lichtenstein
  • Norway

In addition, Swiss nationals have the same rights as nationals from any of the above, though Switzerland is not a member of either group.

If you are a citizen of one of these countries and would like to take up residence in the UK you might be well advised to consider applying for a registration certificate.

This certificate isn’t strictly necessary, but you might find that it will make it easier to claim certain benefits and services if you have one.

It can also be very helpful to hold a registration certificate if you plan to have your family join you in the UK, as it can provide valuable support for an EEA family permit or residence card.

If you are currently studying in the UK, working here, or can prove that you are supporting yourself independently, then it is recommended that you apply.

As experts in matters relating to visa law and residency Khan and Co. Solicitors; based in Birmingham and Wolverhampton can give you the advice you might need and can assist in making your application, as well as helping in relation to applying for a, EEA family permit.

Citizens of Commonwealth countries – there are some 53 of these located throughout the world – can live and work freely in the United Kingdom, and have a right of abode IF all of the following conditions are met:

  • One or both of your parents were born in the UK and one or both were citizens of the United Kingdom and colonies when you were born. This can also apply to people who were officially adopted, as long as their adoptive parents meet these conditions.
  • You were a citizen of a Commonwealth country at the end of 1982
  • You did not stop being a citizen at any point – even temporarily – after December 31st 1982

The laws and regulations regarding right of abode, working within the UK and bringing your family into this country, whether temporarily or permanently, are complicated, so it’s better not to guess or to hope, but to seek the advice of an experienced advocate or specialist lawyer. An attorney with the relevant experience, such as ourselves at Khan McKenzie Solicitors will make sure that your application is correctly completed and that it is handled in the best way to ensure a timely decision.

Keeping in view the financial difficulties of clients, we have tailored very reasonable and affordable costs structure for our Family Law matter clients. If you would like to discuss any matter related to Family Law, please contact us through phone +44(121)794 2000  or alternatively make an online enquiry and we will respond at the earliest opportunity. We are very flexible in arranging appointments and offer highly friendly and personlized service with very competitive costs.

Need legal assistance?

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.